Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Big Chunks.

First, how appetizing is that title? Good thing this is a recipe post!

Two soups you need--must--make sometime before this Ice Age ends: chicken tortilla and taco. Both are super hearty and delicious, and also my variations, entirely dependent on whatever I have in the house and/or my ever-changing taste buds.

[Sidenote: I think Tony is growing increasingly offended that I now like "big chunks" of onions, tomatoes, et cetera, in everything (sidenote sidenote: "big chunks," to Tony, are actually minutely diced pieces, which he spends forever picking out of his food) Um, sorry I'm vegetably mature now! Sheesh.]

Also, both soups include this stuff:



Sweet nectar of the gods. If that nectar was Mexican-y. And sold by Tastefully Simple consultants.

So, to commemorate my first recipe post, and because you can't make either of these recipes to their full potential without this stuff, I'm giving one away. That's right, ladies and occasional gentlemen (Dad!), this is officially the Second Doxology Mine Giveaway. I've hit the big time, folks.

Just leave a comment and you're in!

Now, on to the deliciousness.

I apologize for the lack of step-by-step pictures. I am not the Pioneer Woman, as much as I want to be. Too impatient. And my internet is too inreliable. Anyway...here you go!

Spicy Taco Soup

1-1 1/2 lb. ground beef, chuck, whatever.
1/2 medium white onion
1 garlic clove
2 pkgs. taco seasoning
1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
1 can cream corn
1 can black beans (partially drained)
1 can Rotel
2-3 T (or more!) Tastefully Simple Fiesta Party Dip Mix
3 1/2-4 C water.

Brown meat with onion and garlic; drain. Throw into a crockpot with the rest of the ingredients and let simmer on high for about an hour. Taste and see that this is good! And then serve with tortilla chips.



Sorry about the shoddy cell phone picture (and the fact that it's in Tupperware), but if you're like me, you at least need a finished shot to see what the heck it's supposed to look like. Not that this looks as good as it does in real life...in a real bowl.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

8 C water
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken
1 can Rotel
1 can milk
12 oz. velveeta, or 8 oz. shredded cheddar--or whatever--cheese
1/4 C sauteed onion
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 T seasoned salt*
1 1/2 - 2 T Fiesta Party Dip Mix*
1 tsp black pepper
2-3 flour tortillas (torn into small pieces)

*If you don't have the Party Dip Mix, and can deal with lesser quality taste [partially joking], then substitute the Lawry's and the Party Dip Mix with 1 tsp. chili powder and 1 tsp. seasoning salt.

Boil chicken in water. Remove from water and cut into bite-sized pieces. Return to broth and add rest of ingredients, minus the tortillas! Bring to boil, and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Add small pieces of tortillas (however many you may think you'll like) and boil until tortillas are soft.



Yum, yum, and yum.

A couple of notes:

1. I am not a paid advertiser of Tastefully Simple. But if they send me a huge check for my numerous plugs today, I would take it. Giddily.

B. Please look past the fact that the Tastefully Simple website has a spot for Delilah lovers. I saw that tonight and almost renounced my love of the Fiesta Party Dip Mix. I might start a petition for people-who-get-so-irritated-with-Delilah-that-it-almost-makes-them-boycott-Christmas-music-on-the-River-every-year-but-can't-because-that-would-just-be-so-wrong-to-my-soul.

"Or Mr. 152-insights-into-my-soul!" Name that movie.

III. I like to hyphenate things.

And to conclude, I realize that "Fiesta Party Dip Mix" is shamefully redundant, but I promise it does not effect the taste whatsoever. Don't even get me started on the woeful state of general grammar in the US. Or on facebook.

Whew! Do you love me again?

I have never stopped loving you. Ever.

UPDATE: No comments after midnight on Thursday, January 7. Sorry, I forgot that this needs a deadline.

13 comments:

Erica B said...

I would love to make these yummy looking soups... if only I had the fiesta party dip seasoning. Comment number 1 has got to count for something!!!

maribeth said...

um, as much as they sound so yummy, i think i might have to boycott as well. delilah must be the most horrid part of listening to the river every christmas. as if it isn't bad enough that i have to hear dan fogelberg's "the same old lang syne" every hour. you know the one about the grocery store and the high school sweetheart. oh, my ears! see, i deserve your giveaway because i googled the worst christmas song ever so i could tell you the name of the artist and song, dontcha think??

Suzie said...

YUM! Both recipes look dee-licious! Thanks for sharing, Rachel! I think those are going to be on this weekend's menu for sure.

Stephanie said...

I am one of those could-eat-soup-every-day-and-never-get-sick-of-it people so thanks for the recipes to add to my collection (hyphenation just for you)!
Yes, Delilah is incredibly irritating and I love the snippet from
YOU'VE GOT MAIL! Am I the 1st to name the movie?! Haha luckily we watched it on TV the other day and I was once again reminded how much I love that movie =)
Oh and please ignore any grammatical errors, haha

Stephanie said...

PS- I love your crack on the vegetabley mature- I can totally relate- I now love chuncks of vegetables that would have before been left at the bottom of the bowl. Ryan is slowly coming to the other side as well. =)

Ben and Audrey said...

i LOVE both these soups but ben is not a huge fan, so i hardly get to eat them. but would LOVE to have the spice you are giving away!!! so fun!

Ben and Audrey said...

p.s. delilah drives me crazy. but no amount of her insanity could make me give up on christmas on the river. i'm so sad that its over & i can NOT wait for this November when it comes back!!! i am a Christmas junkie!

Anonymous said...

So funny. I kid you not, I just posted my taco soup recipe on my blog! Crazy. It's the time for soups!!

brandy nicole said...

you've got mail!!
i know... i'm not the first to say it, but i did know it when i read it! :)
i wish i had your recipe for taco soup before i bought all my ingredients for chili tonight. (except somehow forgot to buy the meat!)

Anonymous said...

these soups looks great! i love love love soup! so sorry i couldn't come visit this weekend! miss you lots and loved seeing you face for a couple moments at panera!

Ashley Fisher :) said...

This recipe looks so yummy! Sad I missed the giveaway but I have some Fiesta Dip in my pantry so it might not have been fair for me to get it! We have to let other people enjoy Fiesta Dip as much as the Fishers do! Love your blog Rach! I'm glad I found it!

Emily said...

Do sickly people get a pass when they miss the deadline!??! I had no idea! I had a fever of 102!!!! My eyes are so swollen I can't read blogs like I used to.
I love Fiesta Party Dip Mix!!! You gave me some in a baggy once. And I made Chicken Tortilla Soup and it was the best tortilla soup I've ever made. Ever. It was so good!

I love you. Move this week?

Unknown said...

Hey Baba, just got home from Chicago, Dad has not had a chance to read your blog, he is going to be so sad!! However, it is time for daddy to make soup, he just got a new stew pot or soup pot. Was so busy this week, I pulled your blog up on my phone at the Cheesecake Factory last night. A little hard to read but I managed. So I'm going to leave you with "I'm having fish (soup) tonight", what movie? Love you, Mom