Friday, February 12, 2010

Balls, snow, and Twitter. Then back to balls.







You know, I sort of subconsciously used to think that boys only played with balls because we gave them balls because they were boys. Well, my boy has taken that crazy thought about gender conditioning and overhand thrown it right out the window...along with everything slightly spherical he comes across. Golf balls are his favorite; he'll carry one around in each hand all day long. He's become quite proficient at crawling on his fists!

And if for some reason he can't find a golf ball somewhere on the floor (which only happens on cold days in July), he finds and plays with the only three rubber balls in his hand-me-down collection of Elizabeth's toys (which, it should be noted, she never played with. Duh! Girl!) And if those are nowhere to be found and his options are limited to E's play kitchen and its accompanying items, you better believe he goes straight for the lettuce head and the tomato. With. out. fail. It kills me--it's so hilariously boyish and adorable.

I'm BlogPressing right now from bed, upon which I'm curled up next to my poor, ill firstborn who's dozing in between coughing fits and sleepy petitions for her "juicy." Darkness is falling outside, ensuring the freezing temps that brought us all this gorgeous snow will stay around to keep the winter wonderland alive through the night. I can't get over how peaceful it is, and whoever coined the use of the word "blanketed" to describe how snow falls on the ground, well, good job to them. It's perfect. Also can't get over the fact that every snowflake that's ever fallen in the history of the world has been one-of-a-kind. What a huge and yet intimately detailed God.

On a completely separate and widely off-the-subject subject, I think I have discovered the culprit behind all these awful abbreviations and acronyms (wow, hello unplanned alliteration) that are rampant on facebook, in text messages, etc., etc. It's TWITTER! You only get 140 characters to say what you want to say. Now, I'm pretty wordy (shock!), so this irritates me to no end. My criticisms on ALL my English papers have ALWAYS been, "You need to be more concise!" I guess that's why poetry has always fascinated me--when I come across a line that says what it means to say perfectly and that would be ruined if you added one more word...it just blows my mind. But, wow, that's even more off the subject than when I began this off the subject rant.

Back to Twitter. I was actually FORCED to use "b" instead of "be" today because of the charcter limit and I didn't even know myself. I almost had to write "kno" instead of "know" and "2" instead of "to" but then I would have died and that would have been my last Tweet and I couldn't stomach the thought. So I deleted some words (gasp).

I have very deep grammar scars. Obviously. Is anyone even still reading this?

Elizabeth's awake and hacking up her little lungs, so I leave you with a video which brings this insanely wordy post full circle.

The end.

5 comments:

Emily said...

You're funny.

There's no video.

The end.

Lauren said...

this was wonderful. i miss you very much :) hope your precious girl feels better soon!

Ashley Fisher :) said...

you are hilarious! hope E is feeling better!

Anonymous said...

The ball thing really is just a part of being a boy, isn't it? There really is a gene for it, in my scientific opinion. Of course the child's father was just like that.

By the way I loved your "blanketed" comment. It really IS a good word for the snow isn't it?

Erin, Consider It Joy blog said...

I'm a new follower from Ashley Fisher's blog.

I love "Blogpressing." You totally verbed a noun:)