Sunday, March 13, 2011

On fear.

"Behold, God is my help; it is the Lord who sustains my life."
from Psalm 119 [emphasis mine]

"...God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind."
II Timothy 1:7 [emphasis mine]

"...do good and do not fear anything that is frightening." {a word specifically to women!}
I Peter 3:6b

"All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies."
from Psalm 25

"My heart quakes within me, and the terrors of death have fallen upon me. Fear and trembling have come over me, and horror overwhelms me. And I said, 'Oh, that I had wings like a dove...I would hasten to escape from the stormy wind and tempest.' But I will call upon God, and the Lord will deliver me. Cast your burden upon the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous stumble."
Psalm 55: 4-6, 8, 16, 22

The timeliness of God's word sometimes catches me off guard. Fear is something I've been dealing with and struggling through these past few weeks, but God is--as ever--showing Himself faithful. And not only faithful, but completely and intimately aware of my thoughts and my heart. He must be, to give me such timely encouragement. Another thing I'm having to live is the belief that fear is the opposite of faith. Fear prompts the counter action to faith...and vice versa. So to counteract fear, I must declare that it has no place in my life (for perfect Love has cast it out!). That declaration of faith becomes an act of faith. There's something to be said for the power of spoken words. And I am learning to choose to say, "I am not afraid."

No comments: