Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Our life, currently.

I think it's about time to let the blogging world in on the details of the craziness that is our life. I've been a little vague about it (the job, the traveling, etc.) because we were just cautiously walking through things, but now we're at T-minus three weeks before we move out of our house and we don't know where we're going.

That's right.

Let me explain. Ten months ago Tony was working as the Student Pastor of Worship and Media at the church that brought us to Atlanta three and a half years ago. Then at the end of last summer he was approached by a friend of ours with an opportunity to play professional golf for a year, during which time our friend was going to cover our living expenses and all golf expenses. It stunned us, both with its generosity and its seeming temptation. This--golf--was the thing that Tony surrendered to the Lord when God got a hold of his life around nine years ago, so when this opportunity was presented to him, he shied away from it a bit because it seemed like a test.

Yet we had felt the change in our hearts concerning Tony's job for some time before this, and we prayed seriously and sought the Lord on it for over a month, and we kept coming to the conclusion that, without a doubt, this was what the Lord had for us. So we stepped in faith. And it was scary.

And so Tony practiced and played and prayed, and prayed and played and practiced, for about six months. Then in the middle of February, Elizabeth got sick with pneumonia and was in the hospital for three days. We remember the exact dates because the second day she was there, February 17, was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, and it was the last time Tony ever talked to our sponsor.

Fast forward eight weeks. Still no word from our sponsor, still no money from our sponsor. One night, Tony gets a call from one of our friends telling him to tune into our local news. Long-ish story very short, our sponsor is in jail.

And we are hurting. On so many levels, in so many ways, and not the least of which is hurting for him and his family. Bad decisions are now harming so many.

So here we are, unemployed and income-less for almost four months now. It's the eleventh hour and there's still, even now, an excitement in me, a "faintly burning wick," that's anticipating the Lord making His grand move. Because throughout this fire--this hot, melting, maiming fire--I've had questions and accusations for God that I've never had before. And honestly, they are questions and accusations that I've mocked people for. I mean, just have faith! Simple! Easy! What's wrong with you?

In that respect, I am so thankful that we've had this experience. Tony and I even agreed the other day that we wouldn't trade it for anything. We can now empathize with the unemployed and struggling, whereas, before, we were hard pressed to even muster up any true sympathy. And we wouldn't change this time either because we still would rather be slain by the God whom we trust than be blessed by the world. And it does seem like a slaying. A slaying without an angel being sent to stay the hand that holds the knife. We feel like an abandoned Isaac, dead at his father's hand at the command of the Lord.

But we know that's not the story. And we'll continue to say, even now when the ropes are being tied around us and we're being laid out on the altar, that God is good. In all things, He is good. When it means we prosper, He is good. When it means we suffer, He is good. When it means that our life's story is used in some "minuscule" way to advance the kingdom, He is good. When it means we are slain, He is good. Even as I type, my heart affirms this truth. He is good.

So I guess I'm answering my own questions tonight. Today the world looked so dark to me, so hopeless. Judah was sick, our routine was shot, the house got dirty, and it was yet another day that passed with no money, no job leads, and no news of any kind. But tonight, tonight God laid it on my heart to blog all of this that we've been living for the majority of the past year, and in it He ministered to me, as He always does when He provides a way for me to remember His goodness and His faithfulness. I am so quick to let the crap fill my entire field of vision, and then I'm blinded to the real story, the real workings of the Lord in my life. It has become a constant discipline for me to broaden my view, expand my perspective, and live joyfully. I've been terrible at it, truthfully. But I'm working it out "with fear and trembling," and am ceaselessly humbled by the fact that this God knows me, and despite knowing me, loves me, delights in me, thinks about me, plans good things for me.

And He "remembers that [I am] dust" (Ps. 103:14). This has been illuminated in my mind throughout this whole saga. I've never really gotten that verse until now, and now I cling to it and cherish it. It is so dear to me to think that God, who made me human, remembers that I am only human, with human emotions, human limitations, human failings. That's not an excuse to wallow in my humanity, but an opportunity to acknowledge God's greatness and kindness in dealing with us fragile things. It helps me so much to be reminded of that. I can't explain it the way I feel it just now...maybe it's another post for another time. This one is really long.

So, whew. That's about it, not so much in a nutshell as a whole oak tree, but anyway. Now you have the backdrop to whatever is coming for us in the next little bit in our lives. There are little hints of job opportunities, but nothing sure and nothing clear. We're still praying about why God's leaving us in the dark as of yet. There's the possibility of Texas, of Florida, of Memphis (which would include a stint for me in the workforce, hmmm), a few leads in Atlanta, and still a lot of questions. Your prayers are coveted, I assure you. So glad you're walking through it with me, blogfriends.

8 comments:

maribeth said...

wow. you are in our hearts and prayers. thank you for sharing-your story and your heart. keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

i love you so much rach. thanks for letting us know what is going on. thanks for always being such an example to me and showing your heart then the redemption that only God gives you. i am praying for yall and love you so much!

Stephanie said...

Yes, thank you for sharing so we can definitely pray!!! God IS good and it is always good to see Him working in His children, through the bad and the good. I will be praying but I can't promise I won't have some selfish motives in praying for a leading to Memphis =)We will definitely have to meet up at the spray park when you are in town! Keep us updated!

Emily said...

That was beautiful. I definitely teared up. God has you used you greatly in my life and I pray for you often. I am begging God not to take you away, but more so I am begging Him to bless the mess out of you. I am EXCITED about what the Lord is going to do and am already celebrating His faithfulness in your life.

I love, love, love you.

Micah Hilton said...

wow I was so touched! I read your blog through Emily's and this was by far the best blog I've read in awhile.. thank you for sharing and especially for sharing that verse. I'll be praying too.
Micah

Ben and Audrey said...

oh rachel. so sorry for this hard time in your life. i know its not fun. i remember when ben & i were first married that he lost his job & we had no idea what we were going to do. but the Lord provided, just in the nick of time. He is so faithful. always. i know it must be so much harder with children. but you can have peace knowing He is in control.

please let me know if there is anything i can do for you. i'll be praying. and if you come to memphis, lets have a play date!!!

Anonymous said...

My sweet niece, my heart both aches and rejoices for you. I ache for the uncertainty of your life right now. This walking by faith and not by sight can be scary... hard...and so lonely sometimes. And yet....as you are discovering, it can truly bring us to a new, deeper and richer place in our Lord, it's just not always easy or quick getting there. Psalms 40 is for you today. As you wait patiently for the Lord know that HE is at work in your life and that He WILL hear your cry; He WILL lift you out; He WILL set your feet on a rock and give you a firm place to stand (or live!). Your blog testifies to the fact that He WILL put a new song in your mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. And, because of your patient response in this time of waiting/testing, many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord. One further word about waiting... wait does not imply idleness or passive indifference but in this passage the Hebrew for wait means to intwine ourselves in the purposes of God - isn't that rich. We wait with expectation and understanding that it is not fruitless - hallelujah! So my precious Rachel, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord. I love you and yours...Aunt DeLois

Lauren said...

may God bless you for your transparency, and your vulnerability - it just encouraged me in ways words can't voice. i'll definitely be praying that the Lord gives you peace for now, reassurance of the steps that led you here, and wisdom for whatever is next. you're on my heart! :) love you.